Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Metformin for Polycystic Ovaries



I’ve been consulting my gynecologist for 2 years and she prescribed me this medicine called metformin. It’s hypoglycemic agent that is originally sold as an antidiabetic drug. It is also used in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome, and has been investigated for other diseases where insulin resistance may be an important factor. Metformin works by suppressing glucose production by the liver.

This gynecologist of mine told me that I should take this medicine for the rest of my life. The hell with that! I don’t want to take this meds! It always makes my stomach upset and to live with that hassle is too much for me. I don’t even poop on public toilet!

For my own sake, I only took this for 3 months. Then my monthly period crashed again, so after 2 years I  consulted another gynecologist (not this doctor who told me to take this meds forever!) and she told me that I can try to take this for 6 months and see if this alone can make my period on regular cycle. I just started last week and I have to take this meds 2x a day. We’ll see if this can regulate my period then.

This medicine is known to treat polycystic ovaries because PCOS is frequently associated with insulin resistance. If you want to read more information about this, please read: Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome with Insulin Lowering Medications    

I believe PCOS can be cured by healthy lifestyle alone. I am trying to change my lifestyle for my future’s sake!

No comments: