Monday, November 26, 2007

Sambong – Herbal Medicine for Kidney Stones

Sambong is a remarkable medicinal plant that is commonly found in the Philippines, from Luzon to Mindanao. It usually grows in open grasslands.

Sambong are half-woody plant with soft hairs on its leaves. It has a strong aromatic smell and grows up to 3 centimeters in diameter.

Sambong is known for its remarkable treatment for kidney stones or nephrolithiases, urolithiases, a diuretic and other diseases. It can also be used for heart diseases and hypertension. Leaves of sambong can be infused and used as a substitute for tea and also used for colds. It is also high in essential oils and contains considerable amounts of camphor oil.

Sambong is commonly used in the Philippines and it is actually one of the top 10 medicinal herbs that have been approved by the Department of Health. Sambong products are now available tablet form in the Philippines.

When I have a kidney stone before, my doctors prescribed me this sambong forte. And I can say that it’s effective. My grandma told me to boil the leaves and drink it because it’s far more effective than the tablet form. But I can’t take it and every time I try to drink the infusion, I vomit because of the taste and I don’t like the smell, so I opt to drinking the tablet form.

Of course, drinking this medicinal herb alone can’t help you cure your illness. You need proper diet and self discipline to be successful in treating your ill health.

No comments: